YOU ARE HERE: HOME > Orange Line DC > Cheverly
5501 Columbia Park Rd., Cheverly, MD 20785
Cheverly Station.jpg

  Cheverly Metro Station was opened on November 20, 1978, and is operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Providing service for the Orange Line, the station is the first station going east in Maryland on the Orange Line. The station is in a residential area of Cheverly at Columbia Park Road near U.S. Route 50. It is a commuter station with 530 parking spaces.  Cheverly is a town in central Maryland, just outside Washington, D.C., United States. The town was founded in 1918, and it was incorporated in 1931. Cheverly had 6,173 residents as of the 2010 Census.
There is a Washington Metro station in the southern part of Cheverly, on Columbia Park Road. This station is on the Orange Line.  Cheverly is home to the Prince George's Hospital Center and the Publick Playhouse for the Performing Arts. Cheverly's ZIP codes are 20784 and 20785.

Bordering areas

  • Fairmount Heights (south)
  • Bladensburg (northwest)
  • Landover (east)
  • Woodlawn (northeast)

Geography

Cheverly is located at  38°55′28″N 76°54′49″W (38.924478, -76.913488).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 6,433 people, 2,258 households, and 1,637 families residing in the town. The population density was 4,769.9 people per square mile (1,839.8/km²). There were 2,348 housing units at an average density of 1,741.0 per square mile (671.5/km²). 

There were 2,258 households out of which 39.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.8% were married couples living together, 17.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.5% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.30.

In the town the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 24.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 94.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.3 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $65,431, and the median income for a family was $67,540. Males had a median income of $39,237 versus $36,757 for females. The per capita income for the town was $24,096. About 4.9% of families and 6.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.7% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over.

History

Cheverly was begun as a planned suburb in the early 1900s. The Cheverly area was first platted in 1904 for a 93-acre (380,000 m2) community called Cheverly Gardens. The land was subsequently purchased in 1918 by Robert Marshall, president of the Washington Suburban Realty Company. The Cheverly subdivision platted by Marshall was developed around the 1839 Magruder family homestead known as Mount Hope. Marshall became the first resident of Cheverly by taking up residence in the restored homestead in 1919. In 1923, the first road, now known as Cheverly Avenue, was completed and paved to connect the Pennsylvania Railroad line to Landover Road. 34 developer-built houses were constructed between 1921 and 1925. Most of the early houses were mail-order designs from Sears & Roebuck and the McClure Homes Company. Marshall lost control of the Washington Suburban Realty Company in 1927. Harry Wardman assumed the position until the company’s bankruptcy in 1929 due to the stock market crash.

Incorporation was granted in 1931 to address concerns for better roads and services. During the 1930s and 1940s, the streets were improved and lighting enhanced, and the number of residences increased from 135 to 650. Residential construction continued through the 1960s, creating a varied housing stock of early Cape Cod houses, with later ranch and split-level types. Two garden-style apartment complexes (Cheverly Terrace and Hanson Arms) were constructed in the early 1960s along Landover Road near the US Route 50 interchange. The community center, town hall, and park facility was built in 1978. Industrial property was established in 1958 on the west side of town and adjacent to Route 50.

On April 29, 2006, the community held a 75th anniversary celebration at the town community center. The historic home Mount Hope has been the town's official symbol since 1931.

Education

Cheverly is served by the Prince George's County Public Schools system.

Schools in Cheverly include:

  • Judith P. Hoyer Early Childhood Center (2300 Belleview Avenue)
  • Gladys Noon Spellman Elementary School (3324 64th Avenue)
  • Saint Ambrose Catholic School (6310 Jason Street)

Schools attended by Cheverly residents:

  • Charles Carroll Middle School in New Carrollton
  • Bladensburg High School in Bladensburg

Parks and recreation

  • Bellamy Park: a memorial to Raymond Bellamy, Sr. (Forest Road & Cheverly Avenue)
  • Boyd Park: playground, basketball courts, ball fields, tennis courts, barbecue grills, a 3-acre (12,000 m2) nature/fitness trail with exercise equipment stations, and (pavilion - available for reservation by residents only at the Town office.) (State Street and 64th Avenue)
  • Cheverly-East Neighborhood Park: playground, basketball courts, ball fields, tennis court. (6600 block of Oak Street)
  • Cheverly-Euclid Neighborhood Park (informally known as Pool Park): playground, basketball courts, ball fields, tennis courts. (Euclid Street & Crest Avenue)
  • Cheverly Swim and Racquet Club: private club with swimming pool and tennis courts, both clay and har-tru. (Euclid Street & Crest Avenue)
  • Cheverly-Tuxedo Park: playground, basketball courts, soccer field, softball field and picnic tables. (Belleview Avenue & Arbor Street)
  • Gast Park (Tot Lot/Cheese Park): playground. (Parkway & Inwood Street) NO DOGS ALLOWED.
  • Legion Park: memorial to those who died in military service. (Forest Road and Cheverly Avenue)
  • Magruder Spring Park: location of Magruder Spring, also known as Cheverly Spring. These springs were used by the British in 1814 as they marched on Washington. Both were designated in 1980 as Prince George's County Historic Resources. (Cheverly Avenue & Arbor Street)
  • Nature Park: woodland area containing Crawford's Adventure Spring. These springs were used by the British in 1814 as they marched on Washington. Both were designated in 1980, as Prince George's County Historic Resources. (Crest Avenue & Lockwood Road)
  • Town Park: playground, ball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, barbecue grills, and pavilion (available for reservation by residents only at the town office). (6401 Forest Road)
  • Woodworth Park: playground, nature trail. (Wayne Place & Cheverly Park Drive)

Notable residents

  • Rushern Baker, Prince George's County Executive
  • Wayne Curry, former Prince George's County Executive
  • Jolene Ivey, Maryland State Delegate
  • Victor R. Ramirez, Maryland State Senator
  • Andrea Seabrook, National Public Radio reporter
  • Gladys Noon Spellman, U.S. Congresswoman
  • Michael G. Summers, Maryland State Delegate
Comments