YOU ARE HERE: HOME > Blue Line > Benning Road
Benning Road Station.jpg
Benning Road Metro Stop - Blue Line - 4500 Benning Rd., Washington, DC 20019

Benning Road is heavily traveled street in Washington, D.C. and Prince George's County, Maryland.  The street runs from an intersection in the northeast quadrant of the city at Bladensburg Road, Florida Avenue, Maryland Avenue, H Street and 15th Street, southeast over the Anacostia River on the Benning Bridge into the neighborhood of Benning. It continues southeast across East Capitol Street into the southeast quadrant, crossing Southern Avenue and the D.C.-Maryland boundary into Maryland, ending at an intersection with Marlboro Pike (a former alignment of Maryland Route 4).  In 2009, work commenced on a $38 million improvement project for the road which included adding street car tracks. In 2013, the first street car in Washington D.C. in over 50 years will begin operating on Benning Road.  A metro station was opened here in 1980 but this is not within easy walking distance of the local facilities as the neighborhood has a suburban style with access mainly by automobile.


In the late 18th century, "Captain" William Benning came from Virginia and purchased 330 acres (1.3 km2) in the area. Around 1830 (though not all sources agree on the date), he built the Benning Bridge as a toll bridge, one of the earliest crossings over the Anacostia River. "Benning's Road" appears on maps as far back as 1861, and with the bridge was an important eastern route in and out of the District. An 1886 USGS map shows Benning's Road ending at "Bowen Road", which was later named Marlboro Pike in Maryland (and routed as Maryland Route 4 through about 1960).

Benning Road is an island platformed Washington Metro station in the Benning neighborhood of Northeast Washington, D.C.,United States. The station was opened on November 22, 1980, and is operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Providing service for the Blue Line, the station is located in a residential area near the intersection of Benning Road and East Capitol Street. It is the first station after the Blue and Orange Lines diverge east of the Anacostia River.

The station opened on November 22, 1980, and coincided with the completion of 3.52 miles (5.66 km) of rail east of the Stadium–Armory station and the opening of the Addison Road and Capitol Heights stations.